The mission of the Richmond Technical Center Professional School Counseling program is to promote academic excellence and career and technical opportunities while preparing our students to enter into the workforce and continue to be competitive in their chosen field. We empower all of our students to reach their highest potential in their profession so that they will remain viable within the global workforce.
Richmond Technical Center Professional School Counseling program seeks to inspire all of its students to become an Entrepreneur and be their own boss. Our young people are the future and we are ensuring that they will soar into the workforce with endless possibilities.
Professional School Counselors are certified educators trained in school counseling and educational issues. Through appropriate and effective academic, career, and personal-social programs, all students can be successful.
Program Goals and Objectives
The goal of the Professional School Counseling program is to facilitate student development in the areas of Academic Development, Career Development, and Personal/Social Development. Specific goals include:
- Provide a program based on intellectual, social, emotional and physical development
- Create an environment conducive to learning and mutual respect among all members of the school community
- Enhance student achievement to reach requirements for high school graduation and post- secondary success
- Demonstrate a commitment to the belief that all children can learn
- Provide our students with opportunities to explore their own potentialities
- Assist our students to grow academically, develop socially, make appropriate choices, and accept responsibility for their decisions
- Provide activities necessary for development of marketable skills and a rich cultural citizenship for every student
- Assist our student in planning for educational and vocational choices.
- Collaborate and partner with educational stakeholders to increase the academic, personal/social and career development in all students.
Mrs. Sharon Y. McClendon, School Counselor
My name is Sharon Y. McClendon and I am a graduate of Virginia State University with a B.S. in Psychology and M.Ed. in Guidance and School Counseling. I have also, received endorsement in Gifted Education, Higher Education and Personnel, Rehabilitation and Counseling (VCU), and recently Educational Leadership (Longwood). I have been in the educational field for over 20 years working at the middle school and high school level and a Governor’s school. I have several years of experience at the College level as well working as an Admissions Counselor for Virginia State University.
My passion is working with youth, helping them grow and become productive and educated adults within the community. I have a great rapport with youth, they know that I genuinely care for them and wish nothing but success in all that they do. I may be hard on some of them but it is because I know what they are capable of doing and becoming. I do all that I can to make sure my students receive the best that I have to offer them daily.